Monday, May 4, 2015

Florence is For Me.

The more I think about my Spring Break trip, the more I want to be back.  Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love London.  There is just something about Italy though that just captured my heart.  The second stop on my trip happened to be Florence.  Florence is known for it's amazing art, it's beautiful clay colored buildings, and well it's gelato.  

When I arrived in Florence, the number one thing on my mind was shopping.  Unlike my normal shopping trips, I was on the hunt for comfortable tennis shoes.  I mentioned before how I made the decision not to bring mine.  THAT was an awful decision, and it eventually led me to limp everywhere thanks to my torn up feet.  After about a good half hour walk, I finally found an athletic store.  Sadly, the shoes I liked weren't in my size.  Literally a minute later I found another athletic store, and that is where I bought my new and overpriced pair of New Balance sneakers.  Hey, at least they were cute.  Once my feet were happy, I was happy.  

The itinerary for the first day included running out of breath going up the bell tower at the Il Grande Museo del Duomo, running out of breath going up to the Piazzele Michaelangelo, and running out of breath walking back to my current place of stay.  I honestly don't think the scoops of gelato or the homemade fettuccine alfredo helped, but when in Rome... I mean Florence.  My first impression of Florence was basically that it exceeded my expectations.  A lot of people I know who go to Italy have said that it wasn't as great or the food wasn't as good, but everything (from my point of view) was incredible.  











Day Two:

To be honest I had to look in my journal to see what I did on day two.  I literally wrote down, "Today was really good, really bad, and interesting all within a few hours."  So this is what happened!  In the morning I got up to go to the Acadamia.  Basically the only reason why people go there is to see the statue of David, I mean that's why I went.  For anyone traveling there, book tickets in advance!  I did, which helped me jump the huge line and get in at a scheduled time.  Everyone knows about David, I mean it's this ginormous statue of a naked man.  Beyond the nakedness, it was actually really cool!  I won't be sharing photos of it in case anyone was wondering.  Ha!

After the Acadamia, my friends and I went to Gusta Pizza.  I read about Gusta when I was researching Florence, and I was not disappointed.  The pizza was made to order and just so fresh!  The pillowy crust, the fresh mozzarella, and amazing chunks of parmisean are just a few things I enjoyed.  I'm making myself hungry just thinking about it!  After lunch, we walked to the Pitti Palace and Bobili Gardens.  In the gardens we found somewhere to sit, and we just enjoyed the sun.  Ahh the Tuscan sun.  After that is when the bad part comes to play.  While walking by the river, I noticed my head started to itch.  Next thing you know I have broken out in hives... again.  That pretty much ended my day excluding dinner.  After today, that now made TWO trips to the pharmacy, and it was only the second city.  On the bright side, my hives didn't cover my whole face like last time.  That would've been even worse!











After only two days in Florence, it was time for me to say goodbye.  Even though I only had two days, I saw everything I wanted to!  I even got some time to sit back and just relax too.  If there is one thing I learned in Florence, it's that the Italians know pasta.  I'm pretty sure I had the best pasta in my entire life here no matter what restaurant I chose.  From fresh fettuccine to fresh ravioli, I had my fill of pasta.  Yay for carbs!

Next stop on my trip was lunch in Pisa and then three days in the region of Cinque Terre.  I am SO excited to share what I did in Cinque Terre because that was my favorite part of Italy.  If you've never heard of it before, just wait.  The next post about Spring break should be up within a week!  I'm trying to organize it so I can share my time in London as well.  Thank you all for your sweet comments, and I can't wait to tell you more!













No comments :

Post a Comment