Tuesday, April 28, 2015

When in Rome.

After two planes, countless bus rides, a bajillion and one trains, fourteen days, three countries, and eight cities, I am finally back.  Looking back at my trip, even though it was just a few days ago, I'm still in awe.  I still can't believe I got to climb up the Alps, take a gondola ride in Venice, explore the rich culture in Florence, and eat in total twenty-seven scoops of gelato.  Yes, that is right.  27 whole scoops of gelato.  Needless to say I walked A LOT, and I'm working out now that I'm back. Ha!

When I was traveling, I was trying to think of a way to share my trip with you all.  I took well over a thousand photos, and it's just so hard to pick through all of them!  With that being said, I decided I'm going to share my trip one city at a time.  This way I can fully explain what happened, how long I was there, and how I felt about it!  

My first stop on my long excursion was Rome.  Ever since I was little, I remember dreaming about Italy.  Vespas everywhere, gelato on every corner, fresh pasta, and ancient ruins are just the start to what this amazing city has to offer.  The first time I really realized I was about to go on a life changing adventure was actually when I was in the plane.  I looked out the window, and lo and behold were the Alps.  For miles and miles they seemed to go on, and I literally couldn't stop looking.  After that moment, the trip only got better!  When I arrived, I made it to my place and got settled in.  Since we were in Rome, we decided what better way to start it out then to get gelato?!  This was the first of many and my greatest downfall.  The first day was spent exploring Rome!  Whether it was admiring the giant Colosseum, seeing the construction going on at the Trevi Fountain (Boo!), or simply enjoying the Italian culture, the first day was a total success.  One funny tid bit of the first day was enjoying home made pizza at a place called O'Sole e Napule.  When I was waiting on my pizza, a waiter seemed pretty focused on my hair (I happened to wear my hair down that day).  Basically he now plans on visiting me in Chicago.  Oh Flavio.

 













 Day 2 in Rome:

For some odd reason I didn't pack my good tennis shoes with me on this trip.  I seriously brought Converse and another fake pair of tennis shoes.  After the second day, my feet were going to fall off.  And yes, it was the second day.  Regardless of what shoes I wore, I saw a lot!  This morning I walked to the Colosseum and got a tour of it!  It is beyond amazing.  I got a nice history lesson and got to see Palatine Hill with that ticket too.  The whole area with the hill, Roman Forum, and the Colosseum is just amazing.  It's crazy thinking of how long the ruins have been there, how much time has passed, and that today I got to tour everything thousands of years later.  Out of everything on the second day, I think Palatine Hill might be my favorite.  On the hill, you get an amazing view of Rome.  The ruins, the modern buildings, and the beautiful purple flowers just created a picture perfect spot.  After being a major tourist, we got some gelato, ate dessert, and got more gelato.  I'm seriously not kidding with the amount of gelato I ate!

Camera bag + jacket tied around my waist + tennis shoes = 1 major tourist
















Day 3 in Rome:

Just when I thought my feet couldn't hurt anymore, I was wrong.  In the morning we took the metro to the Spanish Steps!  Doesn't that just sound so romantic?  Getting wisked away to the romantic city of Rome, viewing the Spanish steps, and enjoying life.  But do you want to know what's not romantic?  It's getting asked a million times if I wanted to buy a selfie stick.  For the millionth time: NO!  Sorry, just a little anger there.  After the steps, we saw the Pantheon!  In between the Pantheon and the Vatican, we picked up some gelato... of course!  This was my favorite place hands down.  It's called Frigidarium, and it was life changing.  At the Vatican, we got to walk through part of it and see the Sistine Chapel!  To be honest, that was why I paid the fee to go in.  As you all know, I'm not Catholic, but it's just something you have to do.  I am so happy I did because it was incredible.  I might have snuck a picture in there, but I'm not going to share it.  The last thing I need is to be chased down by some Italian police.  From the Vatican, we walked all the way back to our place and picked up some dinner on the way!  Very great, but very tiring day!










One last picture of the Colosseum!
In total I only had about three days in Rome!  I left the next morning for Florence, and I'll pick that up on my next blog post!

To be completely honest, I never thought I would be able to go to Italy at only nineteen.  Thankfully my parents helped me fund this trip, and to them I am eternally thankful.  The reason I never thought I could leave at such a young age was just because it's me.  Ever since I was little I have been a home body.  I hated being away, I never left my mom's side, and I was the shiest girl in the room.  As the years have passed by, even as these past few months have passed by, I have noticed something different about myself.  I'm free, I'm happy, and I'm letting go of this set plan in my head.  The more I travel, I realize that I'm a little more adventurous than I thought.  I love trying new food, I love talking to random people on trains, and I love being myself no matter who I'm with.  I guess the point of me saying all of this is to tell you to travel.  Whether it's a state away, a city away, or even a country away, just go.  I would have never learned as much, seen as much, or grown as a person like I have without traveling.  I can't wait to share more of my trip, and I would love to share tips for Rome if you ever go there!



 
  


2 comments :

  1. Love that I can experience a little but through your eyes! 27 scoops!!! Should not be a surprise in this family. Dad definitely passed on his ice cream loving gene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Six of us are leaving on June 18 for 2 days in Paris, flying to Venice for another two, cruising for a week which ends at Rome. Plan to stay there 2 more days before coming home. I'll give you time to get over jetlag, but I want to get your phone number from Margaret and ask you for some details regarding getting around and purchasing tickets. I so enjoyed following you on your blog. What an opportunity you took. I love to travel. I took Margaret to Spain one time for 8 days.

    ReplyDelete