Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Mistakes.

To be honest, I've struggled a lot these past few weeks.  Between death of a close family friend, my dog's death, and just feeling sort of inadequate, these weeks brought on more than I thought I could handle.  Usually, I like to blog about cool new things that are occurring in my life or what I enjoy, but I just feel compelled to be 100% real.  Too many times I catch myself getting bitter after reading some of my favorite bloggers' posts.  I just don't understand how someone can be so perfect.  How can her hair look that good?  How can she pull off that outfit? Why can't I be her?  These thoughts ultimately bring me down, even though they aren't meant to.

After feeling this way though, I guess I've just thought about me.  Do I come off as perfect?  Do I seem like I have it together all of the time?  I'd be lying if I said I have it all together because the truth is I'm flawed.  I make mistakes, I have awful hair days, I like wearing oversized tees at home, and my room is still a mess from being in London.  So many times I hide my insecurities though because I like to be put together.  I love that clean and crisp look that you see on blogs, magazines, and billboards.  What I forget is that everyone has flaws, and it's okay to let your walls down.  As for standing up tall and folding my hands a certain way, that is just me and I'm actually not trying.

For fun, before I left London I decided to come up with a list of some pretty idiotic things I may have done.  Some of them may not have been my fault, but nevertheless have occurred.  I feel like within the past few weeks I did some pretty dumb things too, so I added one of those on the list as well.

Top 5 Worst Decisions:
1. Visiting Milan without having done any prior research.  That 8 hour supposed to be fun stop in Milan ended up being spent in the train station.  FOR EIGHT HOURS with no wifi.

2.  Did I mention I only packed three pairs of socks for a two week Spring break trip?  Ya, that's pretty self explanatory.

3.  Hopping onto the subway in Munich without actually paying for a two euro ticket.  After being caught by the German transportation police and forty euros later, I finally got to walk away.  I literally thought I was going to a German prison.

4.  Showing up to the Oklahoma City airport twelve hours after my flight left.  That's right.  I bought and misread my ticket about a thousand times seeing that my 5pm ticket was actually at 5am.

5.  Not bringing a suitable pair of tennis shoes for a two week trip.  Who doesn't bring good shoes for a European trip where you're literally walking everywhere? Janae.

It was actually kind of fun remembering some pretty dumb things that I've done.  During those times it wasn't exactly fun, but it's fun to laugh at yourself.  So for anyone who thinks that they are the only ones who make mistakes, this is for you.  You are not alone.  We all don't have it all together, we may cry in airports, we may sing out loud in cafes when you forget you're wearing headphones (okay, maybe that's just me), but we are all human.  Maybe this is just a reminder for myself, but I hope you don't feel like you just wasted the last ten or so minutes of your life.    

5 comments :

  1. Andddd.... I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janae what a lovely human you are. This post is well-written, well thought out, relatable and legitimately made me giggle out loud. Way to put yourself out there with such a candid post! (:

    ReplyDelete