Friday, July 17, 2015

Finally Out of the Woods.

Call me Taylor Swift obsessed, but I've actually learned quite a bit from her lyrics.  Whether I was just a fifteen year old singing "Fifteen" or I was singing "Teardrops on My Guitar," Taylor always got me.  After a sudden change to pop, I was mainly worried that the lyrics I once loved, would turn into a mess of meaningless words that didn't relate to me at all.  Thankfully, I was wrong.  Something that just kind of hit me while I was in Washington was the song "Out of the Woods."  Ever since it came out, I struggled to figure out what it was talking about.  Maybe I'm just dumb, but I just now figured it out.

The last day I was in Washington, my friends and I decided to go on a 3am sunrise hike to Rattlesnake Ridge.  I hate mornings.  I've always hated mornings, but I knew the view would be worth it.  This hike was steep, long, and never ending.  The woods were dark, and I felt like I would never make it out of there no matter how long I walked.  But then, something happened.  I finally saw some light peaking through the trees.  Even though I was exhausted, I literally ran to the ridge and almost cried because of how happy I was.  No longer was I in the dark woods, but instead, I was surrounded by the clean air and the sunlight.  I was in the clear.

I'm pretty sure TSwift was talking about a relationship she had gone through, but I connected it to my relationship with God over the past few years.  Sometimes I've felt in the dark.  You know when you are so tired spiritually, and you feel like you'll never get out of that dark place?  Sometimes I felt I was in the woods for too long and there was no possible way I'd make it out alive.  The path ahead of you was just too long and no matter how hard you tried, you couldn't get out.  Maybe it's just me, but I've been there.  I've been hurt, I've felt betrayed, and I've thought I'd never make it out.  But then, there is that glimmer of light.

For me, God has always been there.  Even when I was in the dark, I could always see where I was going.  The light may not have always been clear, but it was always there.  Now, maybe I'm crazy for comparing a song to my relationship with God, but I'd thought I share some of my thoughts.  One important lesson I've learned in life is to keep moving forward.  I've struggled with things I've never told anyone, I've felt alone, and I've made it out.  A verse that comes to mind is Psalms 23:4.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; they rod and thy staff they comfort me."

I know this isn't a typical post of mine, but I just wanted to share some thoughts of mine (no matter how weird they might be.)  So for anyone feeling alone, just know that God always proves himself.  God is always there, and there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.

Also, here are some pictures of that glorious hike I took on Tuesday morning!  I took some pretty awesome photos of my friend Natalie, and I'm pretty sure she is a model at heart.  I'm so thankful for sunrises that make living so beautiful.
















No comments :

Post a Comment