Tuesday, January 6, 2015

First Days in London!


Cheers from London!

        After a few days in London, I have now gotten settled in my flat, organized my belongings, and I'm exploring the city a bit.  Here is a little bit of what has happened! 

        The first day I arrived was really hectic.  I landed around 11:30am, sat in the airport for about an hour, got to my hall, unpacked, went to Primark (which is basically the H&M version of Walmart), ate dinner, and had a tour around my campus.  It was busy.  



        On Sunday I had my CEA orientation, then the staff took all of the CEA students to a traditional Sunday Roast.  I'm not usually a roast person, but this was delicious.  I'm guessing it was really good just because I had nothing to eat that day, so anything would be really good.  

        
        On Monday there was another orientation for all study abroad students at the University of Westminster.  After, I ate my first authentic fish and chips.  It was super good!  After I ate, some new friends and I visited Shoreditch, which is just a neighborhood on the East End of London.   For a couple days my flat mates and I were looking for pots, pans, silverware, and other kitchen necessities. We happened to stumble across Bargain World.. or something along those lines.  Just imagine piles of cheap kitchenware.  Not ideal, but good enough to cook in for a couple months.  Since it was getting dark, we decided to head back.  I took my first tube ride!  Not going to lie, it's super intimidating.  It's really efficient, but it will take some getting used to.



        Tuesday I slept in.  It was fantastic.  My roommate Kaitlyn and I decided to go to Hyde Park and explore for a bit.  Hyde Park is gorgeous.  I mean we only saw about a quarter of it, but that part was pretty.  I took a picture next to the Peter Pan statue, and I could only think of that Mary-Kate and Ashley movie Winning London.  Yep, they were there.  The Italian fountains were gorgeous too.  All in all, it was a nice and relaxing day.




        So even though I haven't been here for that long, I've enjoyed it!  I'm definitely not used to living in the city, but I've enjoyed all of the walking.  Every night I'm so exhausted from walking so much, but at least I'm getting some exercise in!  I appreciate everyone's prayers and kind words.  It means so much, and I'm excited for this upcoming semester.

8 comments :

  1. Glad you are starting to acclimate - we miss you lots. You are missing our lovely subzero weather though - I'm sure you are sad about that! Keep posting - it's nice to see things thru your eyes:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Dane and I are proud of you taking this new adventure! We will be sharing your journey by following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear that! Thank you both, and I'm excited to share!

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear you're adjusting. Keep the posts & pics coming. I wondered how the food would be. So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aunt Carolyn! I definitely will keep things up to date. I'm planning on journaling every day, then blogging every few days. And ya, the food is definitely not as bad as I was told!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you are having fun! I love seeing all the pics. Everything looks beautiful! You wil definitely get your exercise with all the walking! That will give you more calories for fish and chips! 😄 Love you and you are in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! Ya I walk about six miles a day, and that's just doing every day activities. Hopefully I'll come back super fit ha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy seeing this all through your eyes. I will be praying for you; make time and room for God and your every day will be great. Rick and I love you!

    ReplyDelete