Sunday, January 25, 2015

Happy, Free, Confused, and Lonely in the Best Way.

If I were to sum up this whole week into one word it would be crazy.  There were times when I was super happy, then there were times when I was super sad.  I know what you're thinking.  You're thinking, "How in the world could you be sad when you are in London?  In London!"  To be quite honest, I think I know why people feel so lonely in big cities.  Unless you're Taylor Swift and have a bajillion best friends, big cities are daunting places.  They are full of strangers who have their own lives, and for the most part, take no interest into your own life.  That reason alone makes me especially grateful for my ever deepening relationship with God.  These past weeks I feel as if I've been tested in so many ways, I've been shown true love by my family and friends, and I know who I am through God.  Being in London alone has especially shown me that God is faithful no matter where you are or who you're with.

Now, back to what I actually did this past week.  I took a nice little (or not so little) stroll through Hyde Park.  There is just something about London's parks that I just adore.  From the little kids feeding the birds to the quiet streaming rivers, I have found a happy place in these parks.  Not to mention the sunsets are gorgeous!  



This week I saw Cara Delevingne.  That's right, Cara Delevingne.  She is the new face for Yves Saint Laurent so she did a promotion in Selfridges (a local department store).  The store happened to be a couple blocks away from my flat, so I got to see her!  First celebrity sighting in London was a success.  Oh and half of my face is in a selfie with her.  I know I'm dumb.


On Thursday night I went to mass at Westminster Abbey.  Part of me went to church to see the service, the other part went because if you went to church you didn't have to pay the admission fee.  I'm so happy I went though.  It was the 750th anniversary of Parliament, so both houses were there!  The choir was amazing, the church was beautiful, and I snuck a photo.  Shh... don't tell anyone.  





On Friday, I had a me day.  I explored all of the little stores I always pass, but never actually go into.  I drank a delicious latte, ate the best brownie I've ever had, and tried on dresses way to expensive for me to actually buy.  It was great.  Oh and I wore actual tennis shoes.  I'm including the mirror picture to prove to my parents that I indeed wore tennis shoes out and about.  And you know what?  They were so comfy.





On Saturday, I visited the Buckingham Palace and the Portobello Road Market.  At the palace, I saw the change of the guards!  Even though it was cold outside, I loved it.  After, I went to the market.  The market was in Notting Hill, and it just so happens to be the cutest place in London.  The streets are filled with pastel buildings, posh shops, and quaint restaurants.  I went to a restaurant called Bumpkin, and I fell in love.  It is filled with plants, delicious food, and happiness.  I ordered a latte and fish with chips.  So good.  So so good.  I then proceeded to eat a mini blackberry cake from a bakery named Ottolenghi.  One lie that I had been told before I left for London was that the food was gross.  Time and time again, that lie has been proven wrong, just so everyone is aware.  From the food to the beautiful streets, this was just a lovely day.


One thing I've learned over the past three weeks is that it's okay to be lost.  It's okay to be confused, and it's okay to be on a track you didn't have planned.  I've gotten lost plenty of times in the city, but I ended up finding myself in a really neat place.  The same goes for life.  I find a new part of myself every time I get lost, and I love it.  Until next time.

Janae 

5 comments :

  1. I'm so glad you documented with pictures the day with tennis shoes! I wouldn't have believed it otherwise! Good for you though - it is a great quality to be able to spend time alone with yourself and enjoy it:) love you so much - if I was there I would have enjoyed your incredible dish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous of your latte and dessert pics!! Everything looks awesome! I'm happy for you that the food is better than expected!๐Ÿ˜Š I'm also jealous you went to Westminster Abbey! How cool is that?? Now I'm going to have to pray that I don't get bitter. ๐Ÿ˜‰ You are right that we are never alone! It's such s comfort to know that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I'm also glad you shared the tennis shoe pics. ๐Ÿ˜

    ReplyDelete
  4. Based on all the food pics, i think it's a good thing you are walking everywhere or we might not recognize you when you come home! Sounds like you are falling in love with the city & based on your pics & posts I can see why. Again, I am so proud of you & love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just realized that I needed to catch up on your blog, so here is me starting to catch up. What beautiful pictures -- beautiful sites, beautiful Janae and great shots.
    I always want to say "I am proud of you" to people I have watched grow up, but something about that sounds so wrong -- because moms and dads get to be proud (they had more to do with who you have become). I wish there was a word that said "I always knew the potential you had/have, and I am so blessed to see you discover it". Every time I talk to you (or in this case read what you write), I am so thankful to see what God is doing in your life and who you are becoming. Janae, you are a beautiful person, and I know that God has a big purpose for you. It's so great to see you stepping out of what is comfortable and experiencing new things -- but holding fast to the things you have learned in the process. Thanks for sharing -- we're headed to church now, so "catch up" on your remaining posts will have to happen later. Love you!

    ReplyDelete